As part of the Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations (OIIR) Lunch on Us series, Diversity & Social Justice Education hosts the Conversation Cafe lunch series, which is paid for in part, by the Student Cultural Programming Fee (SCPF).
Please join us Spring semester 2022 as we partner with the University YMCA for Conversation Cafe + Friday Form, where we will hear responses to the following questions from community leaders, scholars, creatives, and leading voices in the fight for racial and social justice:
- How can we nurture our commitment to faith and radical hope in the face of racism, grief, and loss?
- How can we cultivate a community grounded in restorative justice, liberatory education, and racial equity?
- How can we find power and resilience through radical printmaking, documentary fiction, and authentic storytelling?
This series is radio broadcast at 6:00 PM on WEFT 90.1, the Wednesday following the lecture. Urbana Public Television also provides recordings of past lectures on their YouTube channel.
All presentations will be held February 4, 2022 - April 8, 2022, at noon, in Latzer Hall, within the University YMCA, followed by a conversation with Diversity & Social Justice staff at 1:00 PM.
Friday, February 4, 2022
Art at the Y: Radical Printmaking
Friday, February 11, 2022
Stacey Robinson & Jason Finkelman
Improvisation & Disruption along the Parable Path CU
Friday, February 18, 2022
Marlon Mitchell & Crushion Stubbs
Building Community through Reentry
Friday, February 25, 2022
Faith, Race, Loss, and Radical Hope
Friday, March 4, 2022
Jacqueline Lyon & Christian Mejía
Film: Community Resistance to Gentrification in Chicago
Friday, March 25, 2022
Author of Bad Fat Black Girl: Notes From A Trap Feminist
Friday, April 1, 2022
Minnie Pearson & Thom Moore
NAACP - Champaign County
Friday, April 8, 2022
Ken Salo, Angela Ward, Brenda Taylor
In The Wake of Unit 4's Resolution Against Racism
How to Participate Online
Please click the link below to register for this series:
Webinar ID: 839 1878 3990 Passcode: 074617
This series could not happen without the generous support of local individuals, organizations, and departments. We would like to thank all the members of the Conversation Cafe + Friday Forum committee, and the following sponsors for helping to bring us this spring 2022 series:
- Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center
- Center for Advanced Study
- Department of Urban & Regional Planning
- First Mennonite Church of Champaign-Urbana
- Humanities Research Institute
- LGBT Resource Center
- Social Action Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Urbana-Champaign
- Urbana-Champaign Friends Meeting
- Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program
- Women's Resources Center
Further information for the University YMCA Friday Forum can be located at: https://universityymca.org/friday-forum
Disability accommodations are available by contacting Teryl Brewster at firstname.lastname@example.org. A sign language interpreter is available with at least 72-hours notice by contacting the University YMCA at (217) 337-1500.