What is I-Connect?
The I-Connect Diversity & Inclusion Experience is an opportunity to reflect upon the attitudes and practice the skills that we need to learn, work, and live our lives in a diverse campus community. I-Connect has two components:
1) a self-paced eText workbook. The eText Workbook invites you to explore foundational ideas for living and working in a diverse and inclusive world through readings, videos, and reflective scenarios.
2) an Interactive Zoom Workshop. The Interactive Zoom Workshop lets you put the ideas from the EText Workbook into practice with a group of peer educators who are students like you.
How Do I Complete I-Connect?
I-Connect is mandatory for all full-time first year and transfer students. To recieve credit, you must complete the eText Workbook and an Interactive Zoom Workshop.
In the Spring, all full-time first year and transfer students will receive an email invitation to access the eText Workbook. Upon completion of the eText Workbook, you will be directed to register for an Interactive Zoom Workshop.
- February 21: I-Connect Diversity and Inclusion eText opens
- February 27: Interactive Zoom Workshops Open
- April 28: Interactive Zoom Workshops Close. You must complete your Interactive Zoom Workshop by this date.
Why is I-Connect Mandatory?
As part of the Illinois Experience, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign strives to develop its students as engaged citizens who value transformative, inclusive relationships with our communities. I-Connect utilizes evidence-based approaches to raise awareness about diversity on our campus and practice healthy communication and conflict de-escalation skills. These skills support a campus climate where all students feel a sense of belonging and inclusion at Illinois. These skills position our students for success at Illinois and beyond.
How Do I Become An I-Connect Peer Educator?
Are you interested in topics related to diversity, inclusion, and social justice? Do you have experience leading difficult conversations? Do you want to become a diversity leader on campus?
I-Connect peer educators are university students who lead I-Connect Interactive Workshops in the Spring.
- September: Applications and candidate interviews open.
- November: Applications close and students receive employment offers.
- February: Peer Educators complete mandatory training.
- March - April: Peer Educators facilitate I-Connect Interactive Workshops.
For more information about I-Connect Diversity and Inclusion workshops, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217.265.5585.